Spring is a time for… donating!
It’s that time of the year again, spring, which is a time to clean and clear out the house. This time of the year is also perfect for new beginnings, it doesn’t have to be a New Year’s only thing.
Decluttering and clearing out the closet and the rest of the house, does leave you feeling refreshed. The action of doing something you’ve been meaning to do for ages, gives you that satisfied feeling. So, now you have a heap of things in a box, what to do with it?
All the clothes and items you no longer need might be something somebody else could use. Donating these items can be a great help to charity organisations.
Charitable organisations, such as Safe House, can then give or sell the items to make money or if you feel up to it yourself, you can hold a garage sale and then donate the money to a charity organisation of your choice.
Here are some good reasons you should consider donating:
- By giving your unwanted clothes and items to charity, you are helping to fund the organisation and are making a difference in somebody’s life.
- Do your part to save the environment, only a small percentage of unwanted clothing is donated, the rest lands up on the garbage heap. So instead of throwing your clothes away, think again and donate.
- You may be throwing something out you don’t need anymore, but these items can be a treasure to those who having very little in possessions and clothes.
Looking to donate your clothes, but not sure where to go? Safe House can always use / distribute second hand clothing, especially clothes for women and children – even shoes! Here are more places where you can hand your old clothes in.
Why not take it a step further, and volunteer your time, there are always things that need to be done at a non-profit organisation. You don’t have to go far to volunteer or join a specific organisation, there are many things you can do that could benefit your local community.
Here are a few simple examples:
- Visit an organisation close to your heart,an hour or two of your time can make a huge difference in somebody’s life.
- Clean up litter lying around your community.
- Make up a small food box to hand out to somebody in need on your way to work.
- Know somebody who is sick or can’t get around, help out by offering to do their shopping or some other task they need done.
- Old kids’ books you don’t need anymore, you can donate these to the local library or other organization in need.
- If you simply just don’t have the time, then monetary donations made to your charity of choice, is always welcome.
“Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love” Mother Teresa
Volunteering is a way to give back to the community and help those in need, but there are also benefits to those who volunteer. Volunteering doesn’t have to be something that takes over your life, you can give as much time as you can. One or two hours a week can be enough to make a difference in somebody’s life.
Benefits of Volunteering
- You get to feel you are doing something productive and being involved
- Meet new people and make some new friends. Improve your social skills.
- Volunteering can help to reduce stress and keep your mind active
- You can add your volunteer work to your resume and may help to advance your career.
Safe House has three options where you can donate goods, your time or money. There are also websites out there that connect people to causes, like ‘forgood’, where you can donate your time, goods, money and services to any of the listed campaigns.